ABOUT THE POSITION
Come join a team of dynamic colleagues and partners who are passionate about promoting digital rights and internet freedom! Internews’ Global Technology Department is seeking a full-time Senior Program Manager to support our efforts to promote digital safety for human rights defenders and vulnerable populations across the globe. Program Managers in Internews’ Global Technology Program participate in the direct implementation of publicly-fund foreign assistance programs for human rights defenders. In this position, the Program Manager will fill a unique, multi-faceted role that offers the opportunity to leverage human rights and program management experience in order to help lead a complex global coalition at the intersection of human rights and technology.
The position will support a new, three-year global Internet Freedom Initiative funded by USAID. Based on the belief that Internet freedom benefits everyone, a global internet freedom consortium supported by Internews has launched a 3-year initiative to enhance digital security for civil society and media organizations, to engage citizens in internet governance debates, and to advance human rights online. The effort will place regional and local organizations at the forefront of the fight to preserve an open, interoperable, reliable and secure Internet. By supporting localized internet freedom initiatives within a global, community based internet freedom strategy, the Consortium will construct strong local and regional bulwarks against a rising wave of digital authoritarianism.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have: ) innovative program management skills; 2) a solid understanding of USAID policies and procedures and grants management processes; 3) excellent problem-solving and culturally sensitive communication and mediation skills; 4) the proven capacity to lead complex regional or global initiatives in the human rights space, and 5) the desire to help protect human rights defenders, journalists and marginalized persons around the world.
The position reports to the Chief of Party of the Global Internet Freedom program. Ultimately, this job will be based in Washington, DC. However, all Internews Global Technology staff currently work remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic and will do so until at least July 1, 2021. Until the situation meaningfully changes, this position will also function remotely. We will expect you to relocate to the DC area as soon as it is safe to do so, likely by mid-2021. Limited international travel will be required for this position (once it is safe to do so), and candidates must have permission to live and work in the United States.
Internews is a global organization that values and strives to cultivate the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices. We work to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to help shape their communities and the world. Over 35 years, we have cultivated and supported partners, people, and offices in more than 90 countries. We operate in the hardest places on earth, helping build deeply local solutions that incorporate technologies appropriate to each local context. We are committed to reducing information darkness over the next five years, testing and iterating new solutions, and asking ourselves repeatedly, “What more can be done?” You can learn about the Global Technology Program (GTP) at Internews here: https://globaltech.internews.org/
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the CoP in providing oversight on project management, program implementation, strategic planning, analysis, personnel, grants, procurement, and finance tasks as needed;
- Assist the CoP on global partner communications and problem solving;
- Develop a new, transparent grants management process to allow multiple GTP programs to engage in a surge capacity with other projects;
- Work with the GTP Business Manager to oversee the execution of subgrants, including review of prospective grantee applications, program and design, budget negotiations, payments and partner reporting;
- Assist with customer relations with USAID DRG and missions;
- Guide program assistant staff as requested.
Administration & Finance
- Oversee all administrative aspects of the GIF program;
- Lead the tracking of metrics for monitoring and evaluation in coordination with the GTP M&E Specialist;
- Provide support in ensuring program implementation complies with funder requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures;
- Support the GTP Business Management Unit with the preparation of invoices, wire transfer requests, expense reimbursements, and complete credit card reconciliation on a monthly basis;
- Lead the implementation of personal service contracts and ensure communication with business operations unit regarding same;
- Serve as the CoP for project related functions including finance and signing actions when the CoP is unavailable.
Writing and Research
- Oversee the writing and compiling of program reporting, including quarterly reports, USAID prior approval letters and other project-related reports;
- Review and respond to work products from global partners.
Events & Presentations
- Support events and partner meetings, including coordinating agendas and travel logistics;
- Represent team and Internews at events on request.
Values & Flexibility
- Understand and demonstrate commitment to uphold Internews’ Core Values;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Progressively senior development or related experience
- Relevant university degree
- Deep knowledge of USAID’s policies and procedures and US Government rules and regulations
- Deep understanding of cross-cultural concerns in working with people across the world
- Experience with democracy, human rights and governance field
- Superior analytical and writing ability
- Superior communication and presentation skills
- Experience preparing expense reports and budgets
- Willingness to learn and adopt secure communication tools
- Proven organization skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize a shifting workload
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Professional-level fluency in English
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at supporting and elevating voices of people across the globe
- Experience with USAID DRG programs
- Field experience
- Experience with event planning and/or arranging logisitcs for project implementation abroad
- Poficiency in languages other than English
- Experience managing complex travel arrangements
- Experience with proposal development
- Interest in the intersection of technology and human rights
- Experience using secure channels for communication
- Experience using project management tools (e.g. – Trello, Airtable, etc.)
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1228