The Technical Expert/Senior Advisor for Digital Safety will serve in a key leadership position in Internews’ new global Internet Freedom initiative, providing high-level strategic guidance and support to the Chief of Party and a global Consortium of partners, as well as coordinating and driving the achievement of global digital safety objectives under the initiative.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Come help lead a team of dynamic colleagues and partners who are passionate about promoting digital safety and Internet freedom! As the Technical Expert/Senior Advisor for Digital Safety you will play a key role in developing and leading the long-term strategic goals of a new, global civil society consortium aimed at defending internet freedom across more than 50 countries. The consortium is supported through a three-year, global Internet Freedom project headed by Internews and funded by USAID. The initiative will place regional and local organizations across more than 50 countries at the forefront of a global fight to preserve an open, interoperable, reliable, and secure Internet. Key objectives include enhancing digital security for civil society and media organizations; engaging citizens in internet governance debates, and advancing human rights online.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have:
- Proven capacity to lead in the digital safety field
- Proven ability to design and implement impactful digital safety support mechanisms for human rights defenders including: trainings, organizational assessments, curricula development, and other innovative approaches such as implementing private-public partnerships;
- Experience building, designing, overseeing, collaborating within, or supporting multi-stakeholder threat sharing and/or rapid response mechanisms
- Established capacity not only to engage effectively in highly technical digital safety analyses or questions, but to explain highly technical issues and concerns to a wide range of actors with varying technical levels of technical expertise; and
- The desire to help protect human rights defenders, journalists, and marginalized persons around the world.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Digital Safety Expertise
- Maintain awareness of the trends and technologies affecting digital safety, as well as emerging and established migration strategies
- Engage in regional and international digital safety events
- Consult and assist partners on digital safety challenges; coordinate local efforts with a view towards global change
- Develop risk/threat modeling with coalition partners and collaborate on development of context sensitive pragmatic solutions
- Help develop and coordinate new strategies for threat response with private sector actors, including platforms and threat analysis firms, in order to, e.g., analyze cybercrime, monitor Advanced Persistent Threats, or disable malicious infrastructure.
Mentoring and Training
- Advise and mentor coalition members on digital safety issues
- Conduct digital safety training on a variety of digital safety issues, including train the trainer training
- Work with human rights defenders, journalists, advocates, marginalized populations and internet freedom communities to understand their needs and help craft strategies and tactics
- Capacity to work directly with communities in their own community spaces, and to maintain trust and collaboration over extended periods of time
Writing and Research
- Lead the digital safety community through creation, sharing, and/or review of documentation, guides, curricula, etc.
- Develop digital safety training materials and guidance documents
- Analyze current global digital safety challenges and write thought pieces and approaches to address challenges across the internet freedom community
Events and Presentations
- Develop and maintain up-to-date digital safety briefing and communications materials
- Support events and partner meetings
- Represent teams and Internews at events on request
Values and Flexibility
- A strong, ethical, transparent, and community-focused approach to work
- English proficiency
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
- 5+ years leading digital safety efforts or related experience
- Relevant university degree
- Experience leading digital security trainings and ToTs
- Experience risk/threat modeling and working with individuals on pragmatic solutions
- Experience building or implementing building mechanisms to provide long-term safety support for individuals and organizations
- Contributions to the digital safety community through creation, sharing, and/or review of documentation, guides, curricula, etc.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize a shifting workload
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Professional-level fluency in English
- Superior analytical and writing ability
- Superior communication and presentation skills
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at joining a supportive, skilled, multi-cultural team that is distributed across the globe
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Relevant experience in information security education, operations, assessment, and response, such as a CERT, audit work, or threat analysis
- Experience designing and implementing information security governance frameworks, preferably adapted to small or medium sized organizations
- Auditing and assessment experience
- Experience with democracy, human rights and governance field
- Knowledge of the open source security software ecosystem
- experience living and working outside of the United States, Canada, and Western Europe
- Understanding of cross-cultural concerns in working with people around the world
- Demonstrated understanding of gender-sensitive programming and approaches to civil society engagement
- Proficiency in at least one language other than English
This position reports to the Chief of Party of the Global Internet Freedom program who live sin the Eastern Time Zone in the US. Ultimately, this job is designed to be remote-first, and will work with consortium members around the globe, although candidates seeking an office-based position should feel free to express that desire. Because of this, applicants may be located as far east as UTC +3 and as far west as UTC -6, with the understanding that their work hours will need to be coordinated to align in part with the schedule of colleagues working in UTC and UTC -5 time zones. This position will require extensive international travel (once it is safe to do so), including multiple trips to the United States
The Hiring Committee for this position will represent Internews personnel as well as representatives from multiple members of the global internet Freedom coalition. Applicants should submit a CV and a cover letter expressing why they are drawn to this position, and why they believe they are are a strong applicant. Internews will conduct an initial screening of applicants’ CVs and cover letters and then work with the Consortium hiring committee to choose candidates for a phone screening, and then a final interview. We are seeking candidates who can begin work as soon as possible.
Internews is a global organization that values and strives to cultivate the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices. We work to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the information they need to shape their communities and the world. Over 35 years, we have cultivated and supported partners, people, and offices in more than 90 countries. We operate in the hardest places on earth, helping build deeply local solutions that incorporate technologies appropriate to each local context. We are committed to reducing information darkness over the next five years, testing and iterating new solutions, and asking ourselves repeatedly, “What more can be done?”
ABOUT THE GLOBAL TECHNOLOGY TEAM
We are a 40-50 person, multilingual, multi-cultural team distributed across 11 countries. Our programs and initiatives:
- defend and promote Internet freedom, particularly digital rights, digital safety, and anti-censorship technologies;
- provide direct technological support to human rights defenders and independent journalists;
- improve private sector accountability within the area of technology and human rights; and
- lead research into how human rights can be protected in closed and closing spaces.
- You can learn more about the Global Technology Program at Internews here: https://globaltech.internews.org/.
We dress casually, laugh easily, and cheer each other on. We believe strongly that diverse teams are the strongest teams. Ours includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and we welcome those with non-traditional backgrounds and experiences.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1251