Organisation: Marie Colvin Journalists’ Network
Location: Remote in UK, EU or MENA regio
Marie Colvin Journalists’ Network is seeking a bilingual freelance journalist to join their team for a short-term contract aimed at boosting and improving their editorial outputs in both Arabic and English.
The selected candidate will support the Network Manager in ensuring a continuous pipeline of engaging digital content that benefits members of the Marie Colvin Journalists’ Network as well as the wider public.
The role is a short-term, part-time (8-16 hours/week), freelance position to be conducted remotely and flexibly, with the possibility of extension or renewal after six months.
Essential experience and skills
- Experience working in a digital journalism or communications role in (or in relation to) the MENA region
- Experience in creating effective and engaging digital content in Arabic and English, ideally in a variety of digital/online formats (text, video, audio, etc)
- Experience working with a remote, international team using digital tools to coordinate
- Excellent communication and translation skills in Arabic and English (written and spoken), including excellent spelling and grammar in both languages (French would be an added plus)
- Excellent IT skills, including use of MS Office and Google Workspace
- Ability to work independently and remotely in a reliable and efficient manner
- Knowledge and understanding of copyright, journalistic ethics, and related issues
- Creative thinker, with the ability to take ideas and implement them
- Good knowledge of Arabic-language media with strong journalism contacts within the region
- Knowledge and experience in digital security practices including the use of encryption and safe communication platforms (e.g. Signal)
Education and training
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
Other essential requirements
- Interest in journalism, media development, and its relation to human rights in the Arab region
- Empathy with the aims, goals, and values of MCJN and a commitment to support delivery to meet these
- Creative and proactive attitude, with a willingness to cooperate with others
- Commitment to working within the principles of equal opportunities
- Maintain confidentiality and discreet handling of sensitive information
For more information about the role and to apply, please read and complete this form.