Organisation: Free Press Unlimited (FPU)
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
With immediate effect, Free Press Unlimited is looking for a Senior Programme Coordinator East Africa (32-38 hours a week) who will be responsible for the management and implementation of a number of ongoing, donor funded programmes.
The Senior Programme Coordinator will be responsible for the management and implementation of a number of ongoing, donor funded programmes, namely in Somalia, that are implemented with external partners (local and international). Moreover, you will be involved in fundraising activities in order to expand Free Press Unlimited’s portfolio in the East African region. Your thematic expertise on media, press freedom and media development issues is key to the programmatic input you will provide internally as well as externally. Your ability to manage complex budgets is based on your sound experience with the financial administration of projects.
The Senior Programme Coordinator works closely with the project officer and other team members as well as the supporting staff (in particular with the finance department).
The position is based in the office in Amsterdam.
Tasks & responsibilities:
- Plan, monitor and coordinate the implementation of projects. Steer external parties and check the work delivered according to the proposals;
- Steer on the basis of the budget and address project staff about reporting on the depletion of budgets (both financial and in hours);
- Prepare narrative and financial project reports for the benefit of donors, and take care of the necessary (internal and external) information/documentation;
- Represent Free Press Unlimited towards the different stakeholders and engage in and lead fundraising activities resulting in new projects (acquisition);
- Signal new developments, trends, opportunities and threats and advise management with regard to the strategy and policy to be followed;
- Display within the established policy framework, operational leadership to internal and external staff involved;
- Supervise a focused progress of the work and compliance with guidelines, procedures and standards. Guard and safeguard the quality of the work;
- Signal bottle necks in work processes. Deliver input for more efficient work processes and methods;
- Examine the demand for support in the field of journalism, sustainable media development and freedom of expression;
- Design project proposals that meet that demand (including the financial, personnel and logistics interpretation), where necessary according to the prescribed guidelines of donors involved.
Qualities Free Press Unlimited is looking for:
- University of Applied Sciences level of working and thinking;
- At least 7-10 years experience in journalism, media and/or international cooperation;
- Experience in working in an international environment;
- In-depth experience and relevant network in East Africa;
- Proven experience in project & people management, budget responsibility and knowledge of relevant accepted methodologies;
- Experience in fundraising, grant management and donor compliance is a must (EU funding, Dutch MFA);
- Excellent writing skills;
- Affinity with journalism and press freedom is a must;
- Good command of English. Good command of French is desirable;
- High level of integrity and accountability;
- A real team player, an inspirational manager;
- Willingness and availability to travel;
- A valid EU work permit is required.
Your way of working:
- Problem solving
- Quality oriented
Free Press Unlimited offers:
The opportunity to contribute to a special mission. A dynamic and international environment of 70 colleagues who work both from home and in a nice office in the heart of Amsterdam. An appointment for one year, with the possibility of extension depending on performance and funding. Free Press Unlimited has an excellent pension scheme, 25 days of leave per year (on the basis of a full-time position) and a reimbursement of travel expenses (public transport).
For questions about the position you can contact Jens Kiesheyer, Teamleader via firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 6 20361014.
An assessment and screening can be part of the selection process.
Free Press Unlimited is an organisation that upholds the importance of diversity, and where everyone feels welcome and appreciated. FPU believes that differences enable it to be a better organisation – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better results.
To apply, please click here.