Organisation: Free Press Unlimited (FPU)
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Free Press Unlimited is looking for a Project Officer to join its Safety of Journalists team with a focus on the MENA and Digital Security.
Over the past few years, the hostility towards the media has led to an unprecedented level of danger for journalists. If media professionals are unable to do their work without risking harm, they will be unable to function as watchdogs; to expose crimes and injustice; and to provide reliable information and independent news to the public. The Safety of Journalists team of Free Press Unlimited works towards a safer environment for journalists globally. Free Press Unlimited’s Safety of Journalists team provides emergency and legal assistance to journalists and media in distress through its Reporters Respond programme, and works on the prevention and protection of media workers worldwide.
About Free Press Unlimited:
Free Press Unlimited believes that all people are entitled to have access to unbiased, reliable and timely information. This enables them to assess their own living conditions, influence these and make better decisions. Press freedom and freedom of information are vital for gathering and spreading reliable, unbiased information. Media play a crucial role in providing people free and unrestricted access to information.
By supporting media professionals and journalists, Free Press Unlimited wants to make and keep objective news and information available to everyone, especially to people in countries without or with limited (press) freedom.
What you will be doing:
- Provide urgent emergency assistance to journalists in distress;
- Provide advice on Digital Security and information management;
- Support with the planning, organisation, reporting (financial and narrative) and implementation of projects;
- Support with the design of project proposals;
- Develop contracts and agreements with donors, service providers and partner organisations.
What Free Press Unlimited is looking for:
Free Press Unlimited is looking for a passionate Project Officer, with appropriate sensitivity for cultural differences. The ideal candidate is independent, self-confident, and decisive, and has strong organisational skills and the ability to keep an overview and set priorities.
In addition the following requirements apply:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in similar programs in the human rights and NGO sector;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Excellent knowledge of Arabic is a must;
- Expertise in Digital Security and information management;
- Proactive and flexible;
- Resilient and able to work under pressure;
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills, ability to create new, and nurture established relationships with multiple stakeholders;
- Knowledge and experience in project management;
- High level of integrity and accountability.
What Free Press Unlimited offers:
The opportunity to contribute to a special mission. You will work in an exciting and challenging international working environment with 70 colleagues who work both from home, and in a nice office in the heart of Amsterdam. The salary is € 3.511,- to a maximum of € 4.900,- gross per month for a full-time employment, excluding 8% holiday allowance. An appointment for one year, with the possibility of extension depending on performance and funding. Free Press Unlimited has an excellent pension scheme, 25 days of leave per year (on the basis of a full-time position) and a reimbursement of travel expenses (public transport).
Then Free Press Unlimited would love to hear from you! Please apply by sending your English CV and short cover letter (both in PDF format) no later than February 19, 2023 to Tamara Lunacek (HR Officer) via this application form. For questions about the position you can contact Jantine van Herwijnen, team leader of the Safety team, at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please click here.