The Editor of the Earth Journalism Network (EJN) manages and edits the environmental content for Internews – an organization devoted to international media development. As the lead editorial support staff member for EJN – Internews’ environmental media program, and a global community of over 13,000 journalists dedicated to covering environmental issues – the Editor manages, edits and maintains streams of content generated as a result of EJN programs, platforms and partnerships, improving upon content, monitoring and evaluating the reach and quality of EJN’s editorial activities, and directly managing the production and distribution of EJN’s content. In addition, the Editor supports various EJN activities, in particular coordinating the selection and implementation of story grants, mentoring the journalists from whom we commission stories, managing the EJN website and our social media pages. In many of these tasks, the Editor will have the support of other staff. The Editor will support EJN’s Executive Director and provide back-up for: project implementation; monitoring and evaluation; Fellowship programs; staff and deliverables; donor reporting; and proposal development.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all Internews’ headquarters offices are currently closed, and staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. Until the situation meaningfully changes, this role will also function remotely. Ultimately, this position may be based in our Washington, D.C. office or remotely from another location in the United States. Candidates based anywhere in the United States are welcome to apply, and those who would prefer an office-based position should feel free to express this preference. Candidates based in the United Kingdom with appropriate work authorization will also be considered. You should apply with the understanding that work hours will need to be coordinated to align in part with those of colleagues in the GMT -5 time zone.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage production and distribution, as well as ensure quality of EJN content, including the EJN website and monthly newsletter, and coordinate our social media sites with the help of other staff;
- Manage flows of content from EJN programs and partners throughout EJN’s online platforms and distribute to social and partner media and EJN website;
- Manage some of EJN’s story grants programs (in a variety of media formats), including overseeing selection process, distribution of funds, working with grantees, monitoring their progress, reviewing and distributing their final stories;
- Support new developments and improvement of the EJN website with the support of the EJN Information Officer;
- Support development of digital and online media work within the EJN portfolio, including the continued development of earthjournalism.net and GeoJournalism platforms;
- Collaborate with EJN Regional Content Coordinators to help ensure the sharing of content and ideas amongst EJN-supported websites;
- Work with the technical support team to manage the design of EJN’s websites, publications, newsletters, and content;
- Maintain relationships with current and potential publication partners;
- Maintain editorial calendars;
- Assist with the programmatic development and project support for the Earth Journalism Network;
- Work with the Executive Director to prepare proposals and reports, including drafting and editing;
- Represent Internews at conferences and events, possibly working as a trainer if that is of interest;
- Support monitoring and evaluation of EJN activities;
- Assist with the implementation of Internews’ environmental media activities, including judging applications for organizational grants and Fellowships; and
- In all duties, demonstrate understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Five or more years related work experience in an editorial position, preferably a newsroom
- Experience covering and working on environmental issues
- Experience managing media and/or development projects
- Ability and willingness to travel to conferences and international locations
- Willingness to work with international colleagues in distant (and multiple) time zones, including participation in meetings after normal working hours
- Familiarity with content management systems and workflows
- Strong English-language writing and copy editing skills; experience with video production/editing a plus
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving and analytical skills required
- Ability to work well with others, meet deadlines, and respond to changes in priorities
- Multilingual skills, data journalism, and web design experience are a plus. So is experience with multimedia editing, design programs, and/or web analytics
Please, find all the details here.