Organisation: National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
Location: Washington, DC
The National Endowment for Democracy is seeking a Director of Technology and Democracy who will lead the development of NED’s strategy, grantmaking, learning, and reporting related to technology and democracy.
Reporting to the Vice President of Programs, the Director will be part of the Program leadership team, partner closely with the Global program team, collaborate across the organization, and regularly brief NED leadership, board members, and Congress.
To be considered, candidates must have demonstrable experience in international democracy and human rights programming, and deep expertise in the application and impact of technology on democracy. Strong relationships across the public and private tech and tech policy sectors are critical. The role demands strong interpersonal skills and an entrepreneurial spirit to navigate a new position at NED and to work effectively in the broader tech and democracy community. The position is based in Washington, DC, with frequent domestic and international travel.
- BA in relevant field required; MA or Ph.D. preferred
- 11+ years of professional experience
- Experience with international democracy and human rights programming, either as an implementer or grant-maker
- Deep knowledge of the application and impact of technology on democracy, including artificial intelligence, surveillance, civic tech, big data, social media, cyber-security, internet governance, internet freedom, etc.
- International, field-based experience
- Understanding of related policy issues and political dynamics
- Ability to incorporate and synthesize a broad range of highly technical information and translate it into understandable and actionable information for non-tech expert colleagues
- Strong relationships and networks in the field of democracy and technology, including the private sector
- Fluent on trends in emerging technology, digital governance norms, and digital authoritarian practices
- Deep understanding of cyber threats; use of a wide range of social media platforms; and ICT security protocols and tools
- Knowledge of broader IT issues to ensure effective communication with IT and Operational Security departments
- Project and staff management experience
- The position requires regular domestic and international travel
- Authorized to work in the United States
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor.