Organisation: The Associated Press
Location: United States
The Associated Press seeks three U.S.-based engagement editors to join their growing team of diverse journalists focused on digital audiences. They are looking for journalists with curiosity, drive, and creativity. You’re someone who has a rich understanding of how news travels on-site, social, search, newsletters, and other platforms.
Responsibilities: You will report to a news manager for the AM, PM, or Weekends, and your day-to-day responsibilities will vary. You could be the lead homepage curator for that shift, or you could be the editor who’s ensuring their stories are optimized for search, or you could be responsible for push alerts and social posts.
In each case, your primary responsibility will be to ensure that we are selecting, curating, and promoting the best content that AP has to offer in text, photo, video, audio, and interactives. You will also help develop digital-first story ideas for AP reporting teams.
Preferred qualifications: They are looking for digital natives with strong news judgment, a sharp eye for detail, and a deep understanding of how to target and serve online audiences that come – and are guided to – AP’s digital platforms. The successful candidate is someone who knows how to make a good headline great; who has their finger on the pulse of the social conversation; who can make data-informed news decisions; and who can collaborate with – and complement the expertise of – AP journalists around the world. You should be someone who can thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, and relish multi-tasking.
- understand how to monitor and interpret metrics to serve and grow AP’s diverse global audiences.
- can quickly become conversant with every aspect of AP’s all-formats news report.
- have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with diverse teams of journalists and designers at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive, and graphics.
- pursue innovative and inclusive techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
- have the ability and willingness to work at night and on weekends as AP is a 24/7 operation.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experiences, such as at least one year of full-time work as an editor, reporter, or social media producer at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or AP bureau.
- All applicants must be able to work in the U.S. or be able to gain permission to do so.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
The application deadline is 11:59 pm EST on July 31, 2023.