The Global Network Initiative (GNI) is an international multistakeholder group of Internet and telecommunications companies, civil society organizations (including human rights and press freedom groups), investors and academics, who have created a collaborative approach to protect and advance freedom of expression and privacy in the ICT sector. GNI is currently looking to hire an experienced Development Manager to join their growing and dynamic organization.
As Development Manager, the role is to develop and strengthen GNI as a unique institution by fostering strategic and sustainable growth in support of freedom of expression and privacy in the information and communications technology (ICT) sector. This includes leading development efforts to build partnerships, secure funding, and execute projects. The person will report to the Executive Director and/or Deputy Director and work closely with other GNI Staff, the GNI Board, GNI Committees, and international member organizations and participants.
In collaboration with the Executive Director and/or Deputy Director and the relevant GNI Board Committees, Development Manager will:
- identify, pursue, and execute upon funding opportunities;
- develop and execute organizational strategies for strengthening and expanding GNI’s “framework, accountability, learning, and policy” efforts to respond to complex and emerging freedom of expression and privacy issues;
- supervise and mentor junior staff;
- help ensure the organization is running as well as it possibly can in accordance with GNI processes and guidelines.
Specific Position Responsibilities
- Cultivate relationships with and serve as a liaison between GNI and funders
- Identify and pursue diverse funding sources to support GNI’s strategic objectives
- Develop effective grant proposals and grant reports
- Plan and oversee implementation of grant programs from application to approval and execution
- Oversee invoicing, accounting, reporting, and other grant-related administrative functions to ensure successful execution of grant processes
- Analyze budget trends and make recommendations for cost control and reduction for various grants
- Provide regular, detailed reports to funders and the GNI Board of Directors
- Monitor retention and organization of documentation related to grants, including maintaining payments and receivables and preparing regular records/reports
- Provide training to relevant staff on grants management and reporting requirements
- Develop strategies and narratives to expand funding sources in collaboration with the Executive Director, the Development Committee, and other relevant staff
- Supervise the Research & Program Associate and other relevant staff, providing mentoring, professional development, and coaching
- Represent GNI by speaking at public events and through publications on issues relating to freedom of expression and privacy in the ICT sector as appropriate
- Experience seeking and executing grants, ideally from both government and foundation sources, including leading proposal development on government and foundation-funded projects, and managing donor grants
- Experience with U.S. grant funding and familiarity with U.S. government rules and regulations
- Demonstrated financial management skills, and strong experience with developing, managing, and monitoring budgets, budget projections, and financial reporting
- Familiarity with, and ideally relationships within, relevant donor communities
- Ability to perform grant research, grant writing, grant program design, and implementation, as well as related compliance, including sub-grantee compliance, and grant reporting
- Excellent project management skills with experience in managing and supervising multiple, concurrent administrative projects
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong command over written and verbal communication
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strong cultural awareness and communication skills; ability to work with and create mutual understanding across diverse, international interlocutors from all parts of the world
- Ability to work within a team in a cross-functional manner and provide support to junior staff
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and produce quality results with attention to detail
- Proficiency in use of (and ideally ability to train others on) relevant grants and financial management software
Highly Desired Qualifications
- The ability to read, write, and communicate in multiple languages
- Understanding of GNI’s structure and objectives
- Familiarity with, and experience working on, human rights and/or technology policy issues
Interested candidates should submit a resume and a cover letter with the subject line: Development Manager to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and early applications are encouraged. GNI offers office accommodations in Washington, D.C. following appropriate COVID-19 guidelines, but the position may be based elsewhere, including outside the United States. To apply please click here.
Organisation: Global Network Initiative
Location: Washington, D.C.