Internews is seeking Senior Journalism Advisor for their DRC office. Under the supervision of the MSDA Deputy Chief of Party, the Senior Journalism Advisor designs, implements, and controls quality of training sessions (offline sessions, online sessions, in-house and distance mentoring) and media content production frameworks (Internews production, grants, stipends) organized through the MSDA (Media Sector Development Activity) and associated projects, and advises and controls quality of interventions conducted by partner organizations. They will also oversee the training of technicians and technical assistance to MSDA partner media outlets in collaboration with the MSDA Senior Technician.
- Design and control quality of curricula of training sessions for journalists, technicians, and editors of Media Sector Development
- Activity (MSDA) partner media outlets (community radio and online media outlets);
- Advise and control quality of curricula of training sessions for journalists and editors of MSDA partner media outlets, organized by MSDA partner organizations;
- Support and/or control quality of handbooks used to support training sessions;
- Conduct training sessions if necessary;
- Manage logistics of MSDA training sessions;
- Organize the planning of distance mentoring sessions;
- Manage the team of MSDA trainers (consultants), 3 technicians, and other experts if needed;
- Manage narrative reporting on training sessions and cycles organized by MSDA and MSDA partner organizations and related databases (in collaboration with the M&E team);
- Oversee and control quality of Internews public interest content production (radio, online), notably editors, journalists, translators, and technicians;
- Control quality of content produced by MSDA partner organizations;
- Manage narrative reporting on MSDA content production (Internews production, subgrants, service contracts, stipends), notably broadcasting and dissemination (online content) and related databases (in collaboration with the M&E team);
- Support development and reporting of relations between MSDA partner media outlets and local civil society, including monitoring by partner Commissions Diocesaines Justice et Paix, and share findings with MSDA advocacy and election experts;
- Participate in media sector assessments conducted by MSDA;
- Develop collaboration with other MSDA departments;
- Other tasks as requested by supervisors;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Extensive experience (more than 15 years) in building editorial capacities of journalists and editors
- Extensive experience (more than 10 years) in media development or project management
- Extensive experience in media development in Africa, notably with community radio
- Solid team management experience
- Proficiency in French, English will be considered a strong advantage for candidates
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions at post may include, but are not limited to, the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables, limited access to high speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon. This is a limited duration position, with an expected end date of May 31, 2024.
To apply please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network
Location: Gombe, Democratic Republic of Congo