Reuters is looking for a journalist or researcher who has experience with data collection and verification to begin work immediately. The hire will collect publicly-available information about current government office holders, such as their names, titles and links to their social media accounts. The work comprises collecting an initial set of data and then updating it with changes over the course of the employment contract. There may also be an opportunity to work on other similar projects.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Collect data related to a particular office holder or political candidate such as: social media accounts, official website, public contact details, date officeholder took office, among other similar attributes.
- Contact political parties to gather political party logos, party colors and party abbreviations and upload them to a webpage.
- Provide ongoing monitoring of the data collected. (eg Is officeholder’s Facebook page still accurate?)
- Monitor the news for a particular country for big events affecting an officeholder. (eg has an officeholder been forced to resign for some reason?)
- If necessary for a particular country, liaise with the electoral results provider to help translate and understand electoral process.
- Work with local Reuters bureau, where relevant, to understand election process.
- Translate any election-related documents.
- Liaise with the electoral commission of a particular country to facilitate Reuters receipt of election results, if relevant.
Essential Skills & Experience Required:
- Fluent English and Chinese.
- Keen eye for detail and accuracy
- Knowledge of local politics
- Ability to use tools for monitoring the web, eg Google Alerts
- Sense of urgency and strong communication skills
- Experience performing data collection or data validation.
- Interest in politics and elections.
- Interest in journalism and data
See more details and apply here.