OCCRP is looking for a tech-savvy data journalist to work closely with both its data team and its Africa desk. The job will be to help the Africa team identify interesting data that is publicly available, find story leads in OCCRP existing data troves, and scope out data-intensive projects for journalistic value and technical feasibility. This is initially a one-year position with the possibility of extension; it can also be fashioned as a fellowship. The position is a remote, full or part-time position though the candidate must be based in sub-Saharan Africa and a citizen of a country in the region. Fluent spoken and written English is required. French or Portuguese language skills are a strong plus.
- Data: Working with OCCRP reporters to make effective use of large document troves and public records to find story leads related to crime and corruption. That includes cleaning data and making it accessible, as well as understanding the journalistic value of a dataset. The person will be trained to work with Aleph, which houses thousands of datasets: leaks, company and property registries, and public records.
- Scraping and cleaning: Identifying datasets that are of interest to OCCRP’s journalists in Africa and downloading them from websites or acquiring them through requests. The person will be trained in the memorious framework that OCCRP uses for scraping.
- Training: Running introductory trainings in English or French for journalists in the OCCRP network, introducing them to the tools such as ID and Aleph.
- A good grasp of Python, Linux command-line tools, and SQL
- Comfort with handling and manipulating data
- Experience in making use of publicly available open sources of information in the region
- Being able to scrape data from websites is a plus
- Knowledge of and relationships with the data community/hacktivists in the region
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with the rest of the team and OCCRP partners
- A passion for combating corruption and conducting forensic investigations
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. More information can be found here.
Organisation: Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP)
Location: Sub-Saharan Africa