Thomson Reuters Foundation is seeking a candidate for the position of Communications Manager of the Media Freedom Coalition Secretariat. The MFC is a partnership of 50 countries working to advance media freedom, strengthen the safety of media practitioners, and hold to account those who harm journalists. The Secretariat is being established as a standalone unit hosted by the Thomson Reuters Foundation (TRF) under the umbrella of its Media Freedom Programme. The Communications Manager will report to the Head of the MFC Secretariat. This is a rare opportunity for an ambitious professional to craft a bold communications strategy that will bring global visibility to the work of the MFC. The Communication Manager’s responsibilities will include setting up internal and external communications processes, alongside managing the MFC’s online presence, including the Coalition’s website and social channels. The Communications Manager will engage with senior government representatives, diplomats, NGO leaders, media freedom experts and some of the world’s finest legal practitioners to articulate the commitments, work and impact of the Coalition.
Communications Manager will:
- Develop trusted working relations with senior stakeholders within the Coalition
- Co-ordinate internal communication activities between Coalition members
- Design and implement strategic communications strategies promoting and amplifying the work of the Coalition to external audiences
- Write, edit and disseminate communications materials for both internal and external audiences
- Articulate impact of MFC activities
- Manage the Coalition’s social media channels
- Enhance and curate the Coalition’s website ensuring that it is constantly updated and that it effectively articulates the role and impact of the organization
- Liaise with TRF Media Freedom Programme stakeholders and TRF’s key support functions to ensure the smooth running of the Secretariat’s communication activities
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing effective communications strategies with proven success
Exceptional storytelling and interpersonal skills
- Ability to forge trusted relations with a wide range of cross-sector stakeholders
- Rigorous attention to detail and accuracy
- Desire and ability to work autonomously
- First-class organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to prioritise accordingly
- Policy experience is highly desirable
Benefits for personal and professional growth:
- Global Perspective and Impact: Interested in working for a dynamic global organization with a focus on social impact? With hubs all over the world from Bangkok to Madrid to Rio de Janeiro, join a truly international team with a shared goal of helping to build societies around the world that are free, fair and informed.
- A Unique Approach: Thomson Reuters Foundation’s expertise in media and the law is world-class; they combine the power of both to address the critical issues faced by humanity.
- Relevance: With a focus on advancing media freedom, fostering more inclusive economies and promoting human rights, Thomson Reuters Foundation work has never been more needed than right now.
- Benefits: Thomson Reuters Foundation offers competitive salary packages and market-leading benefits.
Learning & Development: Thomson Reuters Foundation is dedicated to the continual professional development of their employees and offer access to both in-house and external training opportunities.
When safe to do so, some travel is anticipated. The role is based in Canary Wharf in London. This is a two-year fixed-term contract (until 31 March 2024) with the possibility of renewal subject to funding. To apply please click here.
Organisation: Thomson Reuters Foundation
Location: London, UK