If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments. UNICEF has over 12,000 staff in more than 145 countries.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide maternity cover to the C4D Specialist – Institutional Capacity Development (P4) who has been serving as the C4D Section’s focal point to the Child Protection Section.
The C4D Section of UNICEF’s Programme Division works closely with UNICEF’s Child Protection Section to identify, understand, and measure behavioural and social drivers related to issues such as Child Marriage and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), and Violence against Children and to strengthen social norms and promote behaviours that accelerate the abandonment of these practices. In recent years, the C4D Section, through its Child Protection Focal Point, and the Child Protection (CP) Section, have been working together to consolidate technical guidance, technical assistance to the field, and capacity building to strengthen social norms programming approaches in these areas of work, especially within the context of the UNICEF-UNFPA Global Program to End Child Marriage, the UNFPA-UNICEF Joint Programme on FGM, and global partnerships focused on VAC, especially in context of schools. The section seeks a consultant to advance these efforts while the lead staff member is on extended leave. The consultant will work in close coordination with colleagues from the CP Section and liaise as needed with counterparts at UNFPA as well as other external partners. The consultant will also collaborate daily with other members of the C4D Section working in the area of child protection, including a P4 C4D Specialist for Social Norms and a consultant.
Terms of Reference / Deliverables
Scope of Work:
|Under the direct supervision of the C4D Chief, the C4D Child Protection Focal Point consultant will, in coordination with UNICEF Child Protection Section, promote the integration of C4D approaches and strategies into CP programming, with emphasis on social norms change to address Harmful Practices such as FGM, Child Marriage and Violence against Children. In particular, the consultant will work in concert with another C4D Specialist (Social Norms) on advancing ongoing efforts to establish a strong package of social norms technical resources to support country office capacities to deliver social norms change programmes.|
The consultant will also assist as needed with other functions of the section typically covered by the staff on leave, including but not limited to coordination with the UNICEF HQ Gender team.
Work Assignment Overview
Oversight of C4D contributions to Child Protection section priorities, including coordination with Child Protection section
- Support coordination of secretariat functions for the Global Committee for Social Norms and Behaviour Change for the FGM and Child marriage joint programs, including coordination with co chairs to plan and convene bi-monthly phone meetings and representing C4D in providing technical inputs on the calls. (ongoing to end of contract)
- Coordinate with C4D team to provide strategic inputs and ensure integration of social and behaviour change in the development of the Child Protection section’s new Child Protection Strategy (by Dec 30, 2020)
- Coordinate with Child Protection counter parts to provide C4D inputs to key strategic documents, especially those related to FGM, CM, social norms and VAC (Ongoing as requested by CP counter parts)
- Provide technical advice to a the C4D team’s consultant focused on CP programs and coordinate with child marriage team counterparts in CP section on roll out of an existing technical package of evidence on social drives of Child Marriage (By Dec 31, 2020)
- Coordinate with CP counterparts in Violence against Children team and guidance to a C4D consultant on roll out of an existing technical package on C4D strategies for VAC in Schools (Timing dependent on timing of back to school activities post-COVID, but should be launched by end of contract (23 April, 2021)
Represent C4D in cross-cutting team processes, especially gender, to provide C4D technical inputs
- Coordinate with gender team to ensure C4D inputs to key gender activities, and ensure synergies between ongoing gender norms/socialization work and C4D’s work on social norms (Ongoing as requested by Gender team or required to inform C4D social norms work.)
Full eligibility and application criteria can be found here.