The Coalition for Human Rights in Development is seeking a candidate for the position of Communications Facilitator to work with their Communications Lead and serve as part of the Coalition’s International Secretariat. The Communications Facilitator will work to:
- advance the Coalition’s collective communications, campaigns and advocacy efforts;
- support the Coalition’s members and partners, identifying and implementing creative ways to
amplify their voices and provide the communications support needed;
- strengthen media engagement strategy.
The Communications Facilitator will work closely with the Communications Lead to advance the Coalition’s global communications efforts, with a particular focus on one of the Coalition’s three core regions (Latin America, Asia or Africa) depending on the candidate’s location and language skills. This is a unique opportunity to put communications, advocacy and coordination skills to work at a regional and international level. The Communications Facilitator will gain expertise on a wide range of human rights and international development issues. The ideal candidate will be well-organised, with excellent communication and editing skills, and keen attention to detail. They must be able to work across different cultural contexts while being patient, respectful and empathetic. They must be committed to community-led struggles for human rights and dignity.
- Support Coalition members and partners – including communities and human rights defenders – to advance their communication goals, while working closely with other Secretariat staff (communications support can include: finding opportunities to visibilize community stories,creating content to publicise their work, facilitating capacity-building activities, developing collective campaigns, one-to-one support to partners);
- Lead coordination of communications efforts in campaigns of members and partners, with a focus on the relevant region;
- Co-develop strategies and planning for the Coalition’s global communications programme;
- Map out potential collaborators who do human rights related communications work, with a focus on the relevant region;
- Support Coalition’s Communications Lead on global campaigns;
- Build out social media presence, with a focus on the relevant region;
- Develop creative and engaging content (blogs, newsletter, graphics, videos, etc) and distribute it across their online media channels;
- Provide guidance for Coalition’s staff members or partners on op-eds/articles/blog posts;
- Edit advocacy, organisational and training materials;
- Outreach and engagement with journalists and media outlets, with a particular focus on the relevant region;
- Update exist multi-lingual website, and support creating and transitioning to new website;
- Manage relationships with translators and other communications contractors.
Required experience and qualifications:
- At least 3 years prior communications experience (for e.g, journalism, media professional, organisational communications officer, etc.)
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, and social and environmental justice.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience conveying complex human rights concepts to a general audience.
- Experience in editing text and documents.
- Fluency in English.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Experience working in remote, international/cross-cultural team settings.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with respectful, empathetic and collaborative style.
- Sensitive to dynamics of discrimination and power differentials.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise and complete tasks in a timely manner, while juggling multiple tasks.
- Flexibility, adaptability and willingness to find solutions.
- Ability to work independently as well as function as a member of a team.
- Experience in managing and creating content for social media platforms.
- Good experience with WordPress, and design or publishing software (Adobe package, Canva, etc.)
- Proficiency in using computers and technology (including MS Office applications, Google suite, etc.)
- Sense of humour and empathy. Must love cats.
Preferred experience & qualifications:
- Experience coordinating and advancing collective work. Experience in facilitating online and in-person workshops and skills exchanges.
- Experience in accompanying grassroots activists and groups
- Proficiency in French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, or Arabic. A strong preference for candidates who are fluent in French.
- Experience with international human rights and/or development issues.
- Ability to travel, when the situation allows it.
Please upload a cover letter and resume in English, as well as two work samples (e.g. an article, a blog, etc) here. At least one of your work samples must be in English. In the first paragraph of your cover letter, please include the location where you would want to be based, and whether you would prefer to work full-time or part-time. The Coalition for Human Rights in Development is unable to sponsor work visas and candidates must have status to work in their preferred location.
For more information, please click here.
Organisation: The Coalition for Human Rights in Development
Location: Global South or remote