The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Global Movement Communications Specialist for the European region. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Global Movement Communications, the candidate will be part of the Movement Communications team and the wider Communications Department. The candidate will help build bridges and a shared understanding across their movement with a particular focus on the European region. They are looking for an experienced communicator, campaigner or community organizer with extensive experience working across the European region; someone who is passionate about bringing people together around a common cause.
- Dialogue: Build two-way dialogue with our movement in the European region and beyond – we have a global movement of 250,000+ volunteer editors, more than 150 affiliate groups, and partners.
- Connections: Scale up and deepen our connections to our movement of volunteer editors and affiliate groups, as well as to mission-aligned partner organizations, in the European region through context-aware multi-lingual and multi-cultural communications.
- Coordination: Bring together different actors and stakeholders in the region, including user groups, volunteers, and Wikimedia Foundation staff for the purpose of reaching alignment and harmonization.
- Agile strategy: Convene, celebrate and communicate through our agile movement communications strategy.
- Equity: Begin with equity and make our movement communications more inclusive by identifying and working collectively to address communication gaps among underrepresented and less vocal groups in the movement.
- Growth: Lead on engaging and facilitating with parts of our movement that generally have not participated in large-scale or movement-wide conversations ensuring equitable growth.
- Build trust: Communicate the Foundation’s movement-facing work with context to build a narrative as it relates to the Foundation’s ethos and values – particularly transparency.
- Best practice & coordination: Support Adapt, contextualize, and sharing of best practices and support coordination of our movement consultations and communications.
- Build Awareness: Work closely with other teams in the Communications department to ensure that we build our regional awareness and that our external communications integrate movement priorities & stories.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with stakeholders across the movement to support building an equitable and welcoming atmosphere where many cultures thrive. Work closely with our product & technology departments on rolling out our product roadmap.
Skills and Experience:
- Extensive experience working in a volunteer movement, a global not-for-profit, community or political organizing, or a related field.
- A strong international perspective with experience working across the European region and in multicultural settings.
- Wiki editing experience including marking up pages for translations, knowledge of wikitext, templates and how to create and use them would be highly desirable.
- Experience working on contentious topics and in leading communication for change management and conflict resolution.
- Experience implementing successful agile communications strategies across multiple channels and platforms with collaborative outcomes.
- A people person with experience in cross-cultural communications, including communicating across multiple languages.
- Fluency in English and at least one Central or Eastern European language is required for this position. Fluency in any additional European languages is a plus.
- The candidate would be based in the European region.
Additionally, Wikimedia Foundation would love it if you have:
- Familiarity or direct experience with free knowledge communities, the education sector, and/or open source culture.
U.S. Benefits & Perks:*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: They cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., they defer to PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: Wikimedia Foundation