Internews is seeking a Chief of Party candidate for a USAID-funded media support and civil society initiative with the general goal of further strengthening independent media and civil society in Jordan. The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity-building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration policies; and coordinate with other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives. Note that this position is contingent upon funding. The finalist candidate is subject to USAID approval.
Ultimately, this role will be based in Amman, Jordan. Wherever possible, Internews works to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ programming in Jordan;
- Provide strategic, operational and representational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with international and local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plans;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media and civil society issues in Jordan (print, broadcast and new media), and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media and civil society across the region;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Provide management and oversight of daily operations of the program;
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purpose of the project;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws;
- Serve as Internews’ legal representative in Jordan
- Carry out management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Manage and oversee all staff based in Jordan. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Advanced degree in journalism, international development, or related field or equivalent work experience;
- Significant professional experience (at least 7-10 years) in either print, broadcast or new media. Strong expertise in the civil society sector is an asset;
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets and/or civil society organizations;
- Previous senior-level management experience, including significant staff, financial and administrative oversight;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work in Jordan;
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills;
- Excellent communication, team-leading skills, with a strong sense of initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with government representatives, project beneficiaries and partners, and other project stakeholders;
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments;
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English is required.
- Prior experience managing programs in Jordan is highly desired;
- Experience working with remote teams;
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID policies.
To apply please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe
Location: Amman, Jordan