Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Internews is seeking a Chief of Party candidate for a USG-funded media support initiative with the general goal of further strengthening independent media in Sri Lanka.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program; coordinate technical, legal, and professional capacity-building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration policies; and coordinate with other media stakeholders to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives.
This role will be based in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Note: This position is contingent upon receipt of funding and required donor approvals.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ program in Sri Lanka;
- Provide strategic, operational and representational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plans;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the region to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media issues in Sri Lanka (print, broadcast and new media), and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Provide management and oversight of daily operations of the Internews’ programs in Sri Lanka;
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purpose of the project;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws;
- Carry out management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems;
- Manage and oversee all staff based in the country. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant prior experience including significant professional experience in either print, broadcast or new media
- University degree or equivalent lived/professional experience.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets
- Previous senior-level management experience, including significant staff, financial and administrative oversight
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience managing in the region is highly desired
- Local language skills are highly desirable
To apply, please visit Internews Careers page here.