Internews is seeking a Chief of Party candidate for a USAID-funded media support initiative with the general goal of strengthening the competitiveness, financial independence, and sustainability of the independent media sector in the Central Europe region, with a focus on the countries of Hungary, Poland, Slovenia, Romania, and Bulgaria.
The Chief of Party (COP) will provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program; coordinate technical, legal, and professional capacity-building assistance to partners; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration policies; and coordinate with other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and compliments other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party will also be responsible for establishing strong partnership and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives.
Note: Hiring is contingent upon Internews receiving award funding and USAID key personnel approval.
- The COP is responsible for overall program management and will be expected to interact regularly with a diverse range of actors such as program staff, USAID staff, other donors, and all program stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- The COP should demonstrate understanding and lead the implementation effort articulated in the activity/program objective, including cross-sectoral collaboration.
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ program in the region;
- Provide strategic, operational and representational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plans;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the region to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media issues in the region (print, broadcast and new media), and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media across the region;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Provide management and oversight of daily operations of the Internews’ program in the region;
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purpose of the project;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws;
- Carry out management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Master’s degree in the social sciences, public policy, law, international studies, community development, media and communications, cybersecurity, business, international development, or other equivalent professional degree. (A bachelor’s degree with two (2) additional years of relevant experience beyond the minimum required years of work experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced degree.)
- Ten (10) years of related work experience in managing donor-supported programming in the country of focus in the relevant areas of democracy, human rights, and/or governance, with substantial experience in media/information.
- Demonstrated experience working with and empowering local partners and traditionally marginalized groups.
- Demonstrated record of achieving results through sustainable efforts involving local and regional organizations and actors; innovative and experimental programmatic approaches; applied and iterative technical learning; flexible and adaptive programming; and the mainstreaming of safety, security, diversity, and inclusion considerations into technical and operational project management.
- Demonstrated experience of working with and connecting people and partners in a variety of formats and locations and cross-regionally including online, in-person, inside and outside of the country.
- English proficiency is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Significant prior professional experience in either print, broadcast or new media
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets
- Previous senior-level management experience, including significant staff, financial and administrative oversight
- Experience managing people in the region is highly desired
- Local language skills are highly desirable
This position will ultimately be based at-post in one of the project’s Central European focal countries. Candidates based anywhere in the EU who possess independent work authorization are encouraged to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply soon. To apply please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network
Location: Central Europe