Internews seeks a chief of Party for a potential USAID-funded media development project in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) focused on supporting media partners in BiH to enhance the quality of their content production, facilitate adherence to journalistic standards, expand their reach and appeal to target audiences, improve their business practices to help them operate as vital enterprises, and increase their security from politically motivated lawsuits and cyberattacks. The project will also promote enhanced cooperation between media outlets in BiH. The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership; oversee project activities that help media outlets develop high-quality, engaging content that appeals to their target audiences; supervise program personnel, financial management, and administration; and coordinate with USAID and other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages existing resources, avoids duplication, and complements other media development initiatives. The position will be based in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned.
- Provide strategic, operational, and representational leadership;
- Oversee organization and implementation of all project activities, as well as project monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure project impact;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable local laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local and regional partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Write and edit project reports, communication materials, and other project documentation in collaboration with Internews staff and according to award stipulations;
- Serve as the public face and primary point of contact for in-country donor missions and stakeholders;
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in Bosnia and Herzegovina (especially online digital media), and a thorough understanding of challenges and opportunities facing independent media in engaging new audiences, maintaining editorial independence and press freedoms, and ensuring sustainability;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all USAID rules, requirements, and regulations, as well as Internews’ internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated;
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance;
- Provide support as necessary for developing new relationships and business initiatives;
- Establish seamless coordination of all project activities with other Internews work in BiH and the Western Balkans; maintain ongoing communication with Internews staff in BiH to ensure synergies, cost-effectiveness, and impact amplification; and
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans.
- Four or more years of leadership experience (Chief of Party, Program Director, Program/Activity Manager).
- A strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with local counterparts, international organizations, and donors.
- Experience working with media outlets, particularly digital or multi platform outlets, as an editor, journalist, or media manager strongly preferred.
- Experience with USG-funded media projects is strongly preferred.
- Experience leveraging other sources of funding to advance programmatic initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to creatively problem-solve and provide ethical management.
- English fluency required, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian proficiency highly preferred.
- Relevant University degree required.
Please, see more information here.