Internews is recruiting a Lead Researcher to conduct an Information Ecosystem Assessment (IEA) in Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador. The IEA will focus on identifying the current most common and trusted channels through which migrants, refugees, and returnees get information, the extent to which they are able to access reliable information, what they identify to be their primary information needs, as well as gauging their levels of trust associated with various forms of information exchange and delivery. The Lead Researcher will oversee the day-to-day execution of the assessment, working with Internews’ Americas unit and a team of locally recruited field researchers in each country. Inputs will be sought through surveys and focus groups with members of the target populations, as well as interviews with key informants. The IEA is designed to ensure that future communications and service provision strategies are based on a robust understanding of the information and communication needs of migrants, refugees, and returnees living and transiting between these three countries.
Scope of work:
- Conduct desk research to collate a wide range of contexts and factors that constitute the “media landscape” that influences and shapes access, media content, inclusion and engagement of audiences;
- Design questionnaires and field research approach, including collaborating with local partners on the identification of research locations, target communities and key informants, and areas for additional exploration;
- Coordinate with local partners to ensure uniform standards and procedures in data collection and reporting;
- Participate in trainings and workshops with local partners and field researchers;
- Lead the production of a draft and final report and incorporate feedback from Internews program units, local partners, and the donor;
- Assist in developing supporting materials for the final report, such as executive summaries, presentations, infographics, or translations;
- Assist in other relevant tasks, as needed.
- Minimum five years of relevant professional experience in research, communication strengthening, and/or media. Humanitarian experience strongly preferred;
- Master’s Degree in relevant discipline (i.e., research, communication, journalism, public relations);
- Strong research background: qualitative, quantitative, data analysis and data visualization, ethnographic studies and human-centered design research methodologies;
- Experience in Latin America, particularly in Central America;
- Established ability to lead and facilitate strategic communication planning and programming with multi-stakeholder engagement, including international development partners, migrant rights and resource organizations, civil society organizations, preferably in Central America;
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organizational, teamwork, facilitation and presentation skills;
- Proven ability to produce high-quality reports and to work under tight deadlines
- Strong written and spoken Spanish required.
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include but are not limited to, the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, limited access to high-speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
This is a 5-month contract that will be open from February 1 through June 30, 2022. This is a daily rate contract to be paid at US $118 per day, with an expected level of effort of 75%. This is a remote-based position, but candidates must be based in Guatemala, Honduras or El Salvador. All remote candidates in these locations will be considered. However, the candidate must have work authorization in a location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. To apply please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe