The Deputy Director will build Citizens and Technology Lab (CAT) Lab alongside the PI, focusing on strategy, organisation building, management, and administration. CAT Lab are seeking a creative institution-builder who is energised to imagine and establish a public-interest research organisation within one of the world’s leading universities.
Primary responsibilities will include but not limited to;
- Create and maintain a strategic plan for CAT Lab, in collaboration with the PI:
- Refine CAT Lab’s mission and activities as a public-interest citizen science endeavor within a research and teaching university
- Recruit and establish the lab’s advisory board, working with the PI to envision its purpose and structure. The advisory board will help with: scientific advice, policy advice, managing corporate relations, connecting us with donors, and represent communities on decisions about research ethics
- Develop and test models for sustainable, industry-independent funding
- Manage CAT Lab’s organizational processes and team of 3 staff / contractors, who will report directly to the Deputy Director:
- Oversee CAT Lab’s activities and team members responsible for public engagement, research, data science, and software engineering
- Manage and mentor team members to be effective leaders, communicators, and contributors
- Foster a supportive, inclusive culture that values collaboration and excellence in a distributed, remote team
- Establish practices for organizational learning and improvement
- Manage CAT Lab’s programmatic relationship to funders and partners, together with the PI, the Department of Communication, and Cornell University
- Create budgets and managing finances, working closely with the Department Business Administration Manager
- Support the PI on grant applications
- Manage reporting requirements, collecting relevant information, and collaborating with the PI to satisfy reporting requirements in a timely manner
- Oversee content design and conceptualization for the project website
- Orchestrate CAT Lab’s coordination within Cornell University offices Administrative Manager, HR, contracts, public relations, legal questions, and other administrative areas
- Support and maintain the lab’s culture/climate by cultivating and facilitating effective internal and external working relationships
The Deputy Director will play a central role in developing and growing CAT Lab. Since you will coordinate strategy, manage staff, and orchestrate administrative operations, we are seeking an experienced, efficient leader who can create a positive working culture and bring out the best in others.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant work experience 3 to 5 years.
- A passion for public participation in research and action
- A commitment to the truth, scientific rigor, and the public interest
- Demonstrated experience with strategy and organization-building in academia, nonprofits, or other small, growing endeavors
- 3 or more years leadership or management experience in projects involving at least some software engineering
- Strong communicator in writing, meetings, and presentations, with the demonstrated ability to communicate with a broad range of people
- Ability to foster and develop a team, promoting cooperation and collaboration among team members.
- Meaningful experience with fully-remote or partially-distributed teams
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects while accomplishing tasks that are urgent or of a sensitive or confidential nature as well as meeting competing deadlines and priorities.
- Comfortable working in an environment where changes in process / procedures are the norm
- Able to exercise sound and ethical judgment when acting on behalf of CAT Lab and the University
- Experience in a leadership or administrative capacity, preferably but not limited to a university research group, department, or center
- Familiarity with project management and planning for projects that involve designing software; engineering skills or experience are not required
- Experience with public engagement or citizen science in any field
Please, find more information and apply here.