Organisation: BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is looking for an experienced programme maker, journalist or multimedia producer with well-developed experience in training and capacity strengthening, to join the Editorial, Digital, Innovations and Training (EDIT) team.
The successful candidate will work as part of a small team to support editorial, multimedia and capacity-strengthening skills across Media Action’s country offices and assist in the implementation of the BBC Media Action digital transformation strategy. The role will involve working closely with producers, researchers and project delivery teams to enable them to create outputs for a wide range of platforms – particularly and increasingly on digital platforms. You’ll also take a leading role in helping our teams to drive and sustain high-quality capacity-strengthening support to our media partners around the world.
The Ideal Candidate
You’ll have strong editorial judgement and substantial content-making experience, including in audio and for digital platforms. Your ability to use analytics and/or social listening tools will be important, as will your experience of helping other media professionals to improve their own skills and adapt to new ways of working. You’ll also be able to draw on your experience of designing and delivering both face-to-face and online training.
You will need knowledge of media markets and audiences in different parts of the world and, ideally, bring experience of working in media development or media-for-development projects.
Contract type: Continuing
Location: The role will be based in one of BBC Media Action’s offices in Africa, Asia or London. Applications are welcome from anyone with the existing right to work in any of those countries. The successful applicant will be employed and based in their home country.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A DBS or other appropriate background check (depending on the country of residence) will form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
Additional job specific responsibilities and accountabilities
- Develop and deliver innovative training courses to help share knowledge and build understanding of creating content across traditional and digital platforms, in collaboration with other specialists.
- Build partnerships within the wider BBC in the field of digital audio and audio visualization, supporting sharing of knowledge with Media Action country teams.
- Lead the implementation of quality standards for BBC Media Action’s mentoring activities, supporting and sharing best mentoring practices within country teams and our media partners when necessary.
- Build up and manage a collaborative network of mentors across country teams.
- Actively contribute to content reviews and encourage constructive feedback.
- Build and maintain strong networks for training and knowledge sharing with colleagues in diverse BBC departments, including World Service, digital hubs and technology / Blue Room, along with external media organisations relevant to Media Action’s work.
- Actively contribute to BBC Media Action’s equity, diversity and inclusion strategy and approach, applying the principles when carrying out the role.
- Work closely with research teams to build up a strong understanding of global audiences and the best formats and platforms to reach and engage with those audiences.
- Advise on best use of relevant audio platforms such as podcasts and audio on demand in order to reach and engage target audiences.
- Actively encourage and promote the principle of “leading with data” in the creative and editorial decision process, using appropriate analytics and metrics tools.
- Travel when necessary to BBC Media Action offices to deliver training and support.
- Be fully aware of and comply with BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policies and procedures, particularly while traveling to country offices; and provide advice and guidance to production teams on safeguarding matters related to contributors, consent and other production-related areas.
Additional knowledge, skills, training and experience
- A demonstrable commitment to the training and development of staff and our Partners
- Strong experience of audio production and its potential on diverse digital platforms
- Strong understanding of digital platforms for engaging and reaching BBC Media Action’s diverse audiences.
- A thorough understanding of digital production methods.
- Extensive experience of designing and delivery effective training with a focus on hybrid learning and mobile training.
- Ability to adapt to different learning styles and use different training techniques.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative approach.
- A high standard of editorial judgment with a thorough understanding of the BBC Editorial Guidelines and digital / social media guidelines.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of the team and work collaboratively with colleagues in global offices.
- Experience/understanding of the role of media in international development, including media freedom.
- Experience of living and working in a developing country.
- Experience of working in a BBC Media Action country office.