Organisation: TAP Network
Location: New York
The TAP Network is seeking a qualified candidate for its Campaigns and Advocacy Officer/Advisor position to support the TAP Network Secretariat in managing a thriving, international network of civil society organizations working towards fostering more peaceful, just, and inclusive societies.
This individual is expected to spearhead the strategy and implementation of TAP Network’s #SDG16Now Campaign, a global civil society campaign to support accelerated action towards Sustainable Development Goal 16 around peaceful, just, and inclusive societies, in the lead-up to the September United Nations SDG Summit. They will serve an important role in supporting advocacy and mobilization around key opportunities for the network at the global level, as well as designing and executing national and regional campaign activities to create new opportunities for civil society and generate a groundswell of support for SDG 16.+
The Campaigns and Advocacy Officer/Advisor will be responsible for the delivery of key activities and growth of the #SDG16Now Campaign, a multidimensional advocacy campaign, to galvanize greater financing, commitments, and civil society participation for peaceful, just, and inclusive societies around the international community and the United Nations. #SDG16Now will utilize and mobilize TAP’s diverse membership of hundreds of civil society organizations from around the world and represent the pinnacle of the network’s collective advocacy at the UN. The Campaigns and Advocacy Officer/Advisor will also help in building and maintaining partnerships across the international sustainable development space, including with key partners from civil society, UN Agencies, governments, the media, and the private sector.
This position will also support the TAP Network Director and Communications/Outreach Officer as needed in tasks such as drafting written materials on SDG 16 (advocacy, reporting, fundraising, etc.), consulting TAP’s Members and Partners, and assisting in day-to-day programming execution.
- Lead and coordinate the execution of key activities around the TAP Network #SDG16Now Campaign
- Research, draft, and develop a wide range of materials for the #SDG16Now Campaign, including advocacy-related content, multi-stakeholder consultations, and capacity-building resources.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the #SDG16Now Campaign, with the ability to communicate the campaign’s strategic objectives and positions with stakeholders such as civil society, UN Agencies, governments, the media, and the private sector
- Assist in managing TAP Membership-driven work, including facilitation for the Advocacy Working Group and other coordination opportunities
- Support in the development of fundraising materials for the TAP Network
- Attend relevant meetings related to the 2030 Agenda and liaise with relevant civil society representatives, UN personnel and diplomats, and other relevant stakeholders in the SDG16 community, and provide summaries of meetings for TAP Members as needed
- Assist the TAP Network Director in following all relevant UN processes related to the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), including identifying key opportunities, note-taking, and advocacy, as needed
- Support the Communications and Outreach Officer as needed in implementing the comprehensive communications, outreach, and engagement plan for the TAP Network in 2023, including opportunities for engagement with Members, key dates for mobilization, and plans for engagement around such opportunities
- Manage and update the TAP Members and Partners lists on a regular basis, and respond to requests for support from TAP Members and Partners as needed
- Help coordinate and manage the logistics for relevant meetings, events, conference calls, and workshops for the Network, particularly around the 2023 HLPF, and generate agendas, minutes, and any other materials needed to advance TAP coordination and advocacy
- Assist in administrative duties such as liaising with vendors, printing and copying, and overall grant management for the program, as needed.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills
- Detail-Oriented, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to be a multi-tasking self-starter with an entrepreneurial drive
- Interest and previous experience in international development-related work, ideally working with the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs and a commitment to the mission and values of a progressive social justice organization
- Strong creative energy and ability to think outside the box to synthesize and promote complex issues to a wide-ranging audience
- Experience in working with Microsoft Suite, including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Experience in graphic design, including the Adobe Creative Suite of tools (including Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or InDesign) is also a plus.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Public Policy, Sustainable Development, or any related field is required. A Masters Degree in these fields is a plus.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience with the design and implementation of civil society advocacy and mobilization campaigns.
- Prior experience working with diverse networks of civil society is preferred.
- Ability to think critically while drafting reports, advocacy materials, and other publications for international and/or advocacy-focused NGOs, ideally in the sustainable development, peacebuilding, and/or human rights realm.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of a foreign language (particularly French, Arabic, or Spanish) is a plus.
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess prior experience in event coordination, specifically around the United Nations, and/or knowledge of the United Nations system and political processes in New York, particularly around the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs (specifically SDG16).
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time temporary position, 40 hours per week. This position will extend through 31 December 2023, or through 30 September 2023, depending on the ideal candidate’s availability and preferences, with the possibility of extension. This position may include flexible working arrangements such as remote working.
This position works indoors and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones.
This is largely a sedentary role with prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.