- Training & education
Organisation: Media Defence
- Eligibility criteria:
– Applicants must have a demonstrated interest in and/or knowledge of freedom of expression, digital rights, internet freedom and/or related issues;
– Applicants must be proficient in English;
– The women lawyers can either be working in private practice or be working for or be affiliated with NGOs promoting the right to freedom of expression in East Africa through litigation. – Exceptionally strong applications from lawyers who have not yet undertaken freedom of expression work, but have experience litigating other human rights cases and have a strong interest in undertaking freedom of expression work will be considered as well;
- Type of funding: Event
- Target countries: Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda
- Application language: English
Media Defence is calling for applications from women lawyers based in Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda to participate in a forthcoming litigation surgery on the right to freedom of expression and digital rights, with particular focus on online violence against journalists.
This litigation surgery will be the first litigation training within the new project Empowering Women in Digital Rights Advocacy and is designed for women lawyers with demonstrated interest in building foundational knowledge around freedom of expression and litigating digital rights in East Africa.
Media Defence provides legal support to journalists, bloggers and independent media, as well as focused seminars to lawyers working with the right to freedom of expression. In that context, this litigation surgery will serve as an introduction to digital rights and relevant legal knowledge tailored to women lawyers in East Africa. A maximum of 12 participants will be selected.
Media Defence is committed to equality and diversity and will therefore consider gender, age and country of origin in the selection of participants. Due to gender disparity in previous litigation surgeries, this event is exclusively for women lawyers.
See here to learn more and apply.
Access the Fundraising Guide for expert advice on how to improve your fundraising applications and to identify prospective donors.