Location: Remote in United States
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Business Development Associate provides administrative, technical, and financial support to the Global Development team and Program Teams working on both public and private sector proposals under the supervision of the Vice President of Global Development. The Business Development Associate will be expected to perform mid-level tasks requiring prior experience, education, or training. The Business Development Associate works within the Global Development team to increase funding in support of lnternews’ mission by researching and engaging in fundraising activities with prospective and current public and private sector donors for increasing restricted funding at lnternews. Working under the leadership of the Vice President for Global Development, the Business Development Associate will contribute as a member of a team to a strategic approach to business development at lnternews to ensure the organization raises over $100 million annually from public and private sector donors in both Europe and the US.
Internews has US offices in Arcata, CA, and Washington, DC which support a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office, or partially remote. Ultimately, this position may work remotely from the US, partially remotely from our Washington, DC office, or fully in-office for candidates based in the DC area.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
Tracking Business Development Opportunities
- Conducts research as required for new mechanisms, priorities, initiatives, and/or background information on public and private sector donors.
- Works with Global Development, Program, and Technical teams to identify specific new opportunities with donors through monitoring websites online daily, as well as through subscription services, and sharing them with proposal teams.
- Logs all proposal opportunities into Salesforce
- Evaluates whether opportunities are found to fit within lnternews’ mission and vision and then summarize and distribute likely opportunities from donors.
- Focusing on prioritized opportunities develops and maintains an internal business development tracker of solicitations, as well as due dates for upcoming proposals and concept notes.
Maintaining Business Development and Competitive Information
- Manages the list of business development managers and/or decision makers at partner organizations and ensures that these contacts are updated routinely in Salesforce.
- Maintains and updates donor contact records in Salesforce as required.
- Maintains and updates capacity statements, staff bios, text boxes, best-of language, and other materials to support high-quality proposal development.
- Maintains and updates the Global Development page of the intranet to support business development across the organization.
- Tracks and maintains records of public and private sector support.
- Contributes to lnternews’ opportunity tracking system in the ERP database for concept notes and proposals
- Supports the Vice President of Global Development in reporting on progress against targets for business development at lnternews.
- Working with other Global Development staff members maintains and supports up-to-date organizational capacity records on internal knowledge-sharing systems
- Takes the lead in generating responses to Requests for Information (RFls) for USAID solicitations, working with program and technical staff members and the Vice President for Global Development to finalize them.
- Assists with proposals and concept notes to public and private sector donors, including conducting basic desk research, document formatting, and development of situation analysis, capacity statements, past performance references, and formatting of CVs/resumes/short bio-graphics.
- Develops timelines for concept note and proposal submissions and review donor guidelines to ensure full compliance with all donor requirements.
- Develops outlines/writing guides for technical and program staff and other Business Development managers as required.
- May serve as proposal manager on smaller proposals as requested.
Meetings, Scheduling & Administrative
- Schedules and facilitates weekly Global Development coordination meetings, taking notes as required.
- Produces travel expense reports as required.
- Schedules and coordinates kick-off and/or design meetings for proposals as required.
- Schedules go/no/go/how to go meetings for business development opportunities.
- Supports and schedules board meetings upon request.
- Under the supervision of the Vice President of Global Development, support the implementation of personal service contracts (PSCs) and outside service contracts (OSCs) as required.
- Working with the Directors of Business Development and the Senior Manager of Private Sector Development, prepares presentation materials – including PowerPoint presentations and briefing papers for donor or partner pitches, or internal audiences, as requested.
- Collaborates closely with the Communications department to develop website content to maximize lnternews’ relationships with key donors, as well as lnternews’ overall brand image online.
- In all duties, uphold Internews’ Core Values and demonstrate commitment to fostering a culture of Belonging, Dignity, and Justice.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Minimum combined five years of prior education and experience. Work experience requirements may be fulfilled through a combination of relevant prior work experience, volunteer experience, and/or education, ideally in the nonprofit, communications, and or international development fields. This requirement is typically fulfilled through:
• Bachelor’s degree and minimum one year prior relevant work experience; OR
• Associate’s degree and at least three years prior relevant work experience; OR
• At least five years prior relevant work experience
- Professional proficiency in English (written and spoken).
- Technical proficiency, including familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Teams, Microsoft Word, MS Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Adobe Acrobat Pro experience is also helpful.
- Critical thinking skills and ability to follow documented procedures; ability to take direction and work independently to complete tasks on time.
- Superior writing skills with demonstrated ability to translate complicated technical material into easy-to-read and compelling text. Ability to both edit others’ writing and accept feedback on written text with grace and humor.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Proven organizational skills, with good attention to detail.
- Proven ability to operate in a multicultural and remote work environment.
- Proven ability to multitask and prioritize a shifting workload.
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment.
- Passion for the role of media and increased access to information in changing lives.
- Ability and commitment to handling sensitive donor information with the utmost discretion.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to maintain a sense of calm, and project a sense of humor in the face of deadlines.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but who are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Prior experience with Salesforce or similar contact management systems.
- Spanish, French, or Portuguese language skills are a plus.
- Prior experience living and/or working overseas is a plus.
- Prior experience specifically in business development or fundraising.
- Prior experience working for an international nonprofit or in the international development sector.
The annual salary range for this position is US $53,400 – US $66,700.
The above salary range applies to US-based candidates only. If based outside the United States, the benefits and salary structure that apply will ultimately be based on the candidate’s location.
To apply, please visit our Internews’ careers page: