Organisation: Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN)
Balkan Investigative Regional Reporting Network (BIRN) is looking for a part-time correspondent from Slovakia for its online publication, Reporting Democracy.
BIRN is offering the chance to work in a highly interactive and dynamic environment at one of the biggest media networks in the region. Due to the fast and continuing growth of its network and the implementation of various projects, BIRN is looking for a hardworking, dedicated, motivated professional to join its ever-growing team.
Position – Correspondent, part – time
Balkan Investigative Reporting Network is a network of non-governmental organisations promoting freedom of speech, human rights and democratic values in Southern and Eastern Europe. BIRN Hub is a non-governmental organisation, a part of the Regional BIRN Network, working in the field of media development, promoting freedom of speech, human rights and democratic values in Southern and Eastern Europe. BIRN has local organisations in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Romania and Serbia, while the Network is editorially also present in Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Moldova, Montenegro, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia. BIRN strives to empower people to access their rights, by providing accurate and relevant information and by creating opportunities for them to participate in democratic processes.
More information at www.birn.eu.com.
About Reporting Democracy:
Reporting Democracy is a cross-border journalistic platform dedicated to exploring where democracy is headed across large parts of Europe. In addition to generating a steady stream of features, interviews and analytical pieces by its own correspondents, Reporting Democracy support local journalists by commissioning stories and providing grants for in-depth features and investigations. Reporting Democracy also provides a forum for a broad range of expert commentary from leaders in policy, civil society and academia.
More information at https://balkaninsight.com/reporting-democracy/about-the-project/.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Producing analysis, interviews, features and photo or video stories on main events in the country, in line with the Reporting Democracy editorial orientation
- Contributing to regional thematic stories
- Developing new ideas and topics for the Reporting Democracy coverage
- Being a contact point for BIRN projects in Slovakia and contributing with the country expertise
- Maintaining appropriate contacts with journalistic community, government offices and officials of various local and international organisations, necessary to ensure correct execution of the above duties
- Interested candidates need to be dynamic, open, hard-working and committed, and possess the following characteristics:
- At least two years of experience
- Excellent command of the English language (writing, reading, understanding and speaking)
- Familiarity with online reporting, interest in web and mobile journalism
- Interest in reporting social and political stories with the strong impact on democratic developments
Who can apply?
BIRN encourages applicants no matter their gender and offers an equal chance to all interested persons without any prejudice based on any grounds.
How to apply?
Please submit a detailed CV, three of your best stories and a cover letter with two references, responding to the points raised in the job specifications not later than October 30, 2022, to BIRN’s regional operations unit, at email@example.com.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview. The selected candidate should start work as soon as possible.
To learn more, please click here.