BBC Media Action has secured significant new funding to expand its work and provide global leadership on media development and media freedom. This post will provide leadership to further BBC Media Action’s strategies in this area and guide project delivery.
- Improving the quality of the media development projects that BBC Media Action delivers by providing expert advice on how the organisation can be innovative and achieve input in this area.
- Working closely with the BBC Media Action’s three regional teams across Africa, Asia and the Middle East & Europe to support them in developing and delivering media development projects.
- Working closely with the editorial development team to support media development interventions in the countries where we work.
- Working with the Head of Research to ensure that formative and impact research is appropriately aligned with agreed strategic, theoretical and methodological foundations and approaches.
- Crystallising, developing and articulating the most effective strategic approaches, theoretical foundations and guidance on media development and media freedom for both BBC Media Action and external audiences.
- Engaging at a senior level with external stakeholders in order to both advance their understanding of BBC Media Action activities and thinking on media development and media freedom and in order to bring the most relevant external experience and analysis into the organisation.
- Ensure that learning, rooted in the best research and analysis and information available from both within the organisation and outside it, is fed through to regional, country, research and other staff in order to help improve the quality of project design and delivery.
Are you the right candidate?
- Proven experience leading, managing and/or influencing successful initiatives within the media development sector.
- Excellent contacts within the media development sector.
- Demonstrable track record of designing and/or delivering projects that seek to defend media freedom and/or support independent media within different country contexts.
- Clear understanding of the various pressures facing independent media in the developing world.
- Sound knowledge of theory and evidence related to institutional change, organizational development and regulatory and financial issues relevant to media in the developing world.
Contract type: Permanent
The employer is happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression– the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivaled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits– We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
Full information and details on how to apply are available here.