BBC Media Action is looking for a new Chief Executive who can respond to the current financial and strategic challenges with innovation, and who has the strong executive and organisational skills to put the charity on a sound and sustainable footing for the future.
BBC Media Action is a registered charitable company limited by guarantee, established by the BBC. It works with partners to reach more than 140 million people per year through creative communication and trusted media, helping people have their say, understand their rights, responsibilities and each other, and take action to transform their lives. Funded mainly by institutional donors and foundations, it also raises a small stream of income through fundraising.
Purpose of Post
Responsible to the Board of BBC Media Action for running and developing the charity.
Chair, BBC Media Action.
- Shape and implement the strategic direction of BBC Media Action to respond to the current and future international environment with appropriate engagement from staff and trustees.
- Lead the charity, ensuring that its activities meet the strategic and business objectives set out in its strategy. Ensure that through the Management Team, operational plans are developed and co-ordinated. Ensure that activities meet the needs of populations in target countries as agreed with donors, comply with Media Action’s objectives and bring credit to the BBC.
- Ensure the financial integrity of BBC Media Action.
- Ensure the development and delivery of BBC Media Action’s work in the 14 countries where there are country offices and in additional countries where activities are delivered through partners making sure that there is appropriate compliance with legal, editorial, charity commission, safety, safeguarding and donor requirements, that work is rigorously evaluated and that it is delivered with due attention to value for money.
- Ensure the development and delivery of policy work to demonstrate the place of media and communication in international development.
- Secure funding to support the delivery of BBC Media Action’s work currently c£30m.
- Ensure that c 600 staff in London and across country programmes are managed and developed effectively.
- Ensure that equity, diversity and inclusion are properly taken into account in the development and delivery of BBC Media Action work, and in staffing matters.
- Support the Board of Trustees in the governance of the charity and report to them appropriately and work closely with the BBC to ensure that Media Action does not bring the BBC into disrepute and that opportunities for close working are maximised.
- Represent BBC Media Action in the UK and on international platforms; speak publicly when required, undertake press interviews, receptions, press conferences, exhibitions and seminars, provide support in lobbying major potential funding organisations and to actively build and maintain a network of publicity and support for BBC Media Action.
Are you the right candidate?
- Excellent leadership skills and a strong track record at senior management level, with experience of leading an international team
- A strong awareness of the world of international development
- Extensive experience of working with outside agencies, partners and international funding organisations and a proven record in raising funds
- An understanding of international development policy making and an awareness of the impact which media can play in reaching the Sustainable Development Goals
- An understanding of the broader political context and Government attitudes to international development and arms-length bodies.
- Experience of supporting a board and/or serving on a board of trustees and an understanding of charity governance.
- A good understanding of accounting and legal issues and experience of both financial and project management of activities of comparable scale and complexity in the charitable sector
- Appreciation of the importance of compliance – including in relation to safeguarding – and experience of ensuring that it takes place within organisations
- Proven ability to promote BBC Media Action at a senior level among opinion formers and decision makers in many countries.
- An understanding of the changing nature of technology, world affairs and an appreciation of how these affect the work of the BBC Media Action.
- An awareness of the world of broadcasting and specifically an appreciation of the BBC ethos, and the need to maintain the highest editorial standards.
- A visionary approach to the use of communications and especially media for the achievement of international development goals.
Skills, abilities and attitudes:
- An outstanding communicator and influencer with the confidence and ability to present effectively to a wide audience.
- Ability to turn strategy into effective delivery.
- Politically astute with well-honed judgement and strong organisational skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude; determined and ambitious to succeed.
- High level of integrity and commitment to delivery of the highest quality.
The deadline for applications is Monday 21st November at 9am GMT.
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: BBC Media Action
Location: London, United Kingdom