Internews is seeking a candidate for the position of BASICS Specialist – Open Source Software Project Manager. Internews’ BASICS project (Building Analytical and Support Infrastructure for Critical Security tools) is improving the sustainability of critical open source privacy and security tools by building ties between tool teams and the communities they serve. Many powerful and widely used open-source security and privacy tools are maintained by individuals or small groups of volunteers who are often under-resourced, lack the ability to receive grant funding, and do not have the means to hire additional support to advance their project’s goals. Internews will place skilled individuals with open-source tool teams as contributing specialists who will help address tool needs. Contributing specialists will be supervised and supported by Internews and connected with a partner from the tool team(s) for mentoring and coordination.
About the opportunity:
The BASICS Specialist in Open Source Software (OSS) Project Management will work with the Tella team to improve the sustainability of the project by improving their development and release processes —including to improve hand-off to developers, strengthen the release process, and make sure the team sticks to timelines and roadmaps. Tella is an open-source software tool used to support at-risk journalists and human rights organizations; their team is participating in Internews’ BASICS project.
This is a remote-based, short-term consultancy. All remote candidates will be considered. However, the person must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work. Wherever possible, Internews works to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Scope of work:
This is a paid position on a 2-3 month part-time contract. The Specialist will be expected to work approximately 20 hours per week contributing to activities such as the following:
- Improve internal project processes, documentation and development practices;
- Strengthen collaboration and communication between Tella product managers, designers, and engineers;
- Document new project management processes to ensure their sustainability beyond this contract;
- Develop strategies for the long-term sustainability of Tella;
- Design and facilitate processes for setting, meeting, and reporting on Tella’s impact in the world.
- 4+ years of experience in tech project or product management;
- Prior experience working on distributed and remote projects;
- Commitment to Horizontal’s mission and values;
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for Open Source software, excitement to learn and a commitment to freedom of speech and journalist safety.
- Experience working for non-profit or human rights organizations is a plus.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter here.
Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe