Organisation: National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, United States
About the job
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a 501(c)3, bipartisan organization that serves as America’s leading foundation for freedom, providing support for democratic activists, civil society organizations, and independent media throughout the world. We seek an experienced, dynamic, and savvy Assistant Program Officer, to help strengthen the impact of our work and mission.
The Assistant Program Officer works as an integral part of CIMA within the overall framework of NED and is responsible for components of the CIMA mission, including partnership development, event coordination, and knowledge management. The successful candidate will also contribute to other CIMA functions, including content production and strategic outreach.
This is an opportunity to join an ambitious institution and team committed to the cause of our time. The ideal candidate will be energized by the idea of being part of an expanding team supporting our brave partners on the frontlines of the fight for freedom and democracy around the world.
- Support the design, coordination, and quality execution of CIMA’s events including panels, workshops, and roundtables.
- Support as needed administrative tasks associated with the logistics of events and travel.
- Act as a liaison for AV, Office Services, Communications, Public Affairs, and other stakeholders at NED to effectively communicate event goals and ensure events run smoothly.
- Assist in maintaining engagement with key participants of events and workshops.
- Identify engagement opportunities for knowledge uptake of CIMA reports.
- Liaise with NED programs teams to facilitate fact-finding discussions and to learn about media grantees from various regions.
- Support Senior Director and Deputy Director to facilitate internal learning related to media assistance among NED programs teams.
- Work as part of the CIMA team to build and maintain partnerships with media development organizations and experts.
- Support the Senior Director and Deputy Director to conduct outreach to organizations and individuals involved in media development for possible collaboration on initiatives, events, or special projects.
- Stay abreast of relevant partners and collaborators, particularly those interested in CIMA’s knowledge outputs.
- Support the Senior Digital Governance Specialist as required with CIMA’s work related to digital policy and internet governance.
Research and Writing
- Develop and maintain knowledge of issues related to media development.
- Organize workshops and events as inputs to research and reports.
- Provide written content for CIMA’s blog, reports, and other content channels.
- The level of responsibility and independence in assigned tasks will increase with experience.
- Other responsibilities and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced studies or graduate degree preferred;
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in international development or democracy assistance programs, with experience in international media development preferred;
- Experience in organizing events and conferences;
- Experience with project management tools and processes.
- Knowledge of international media issues or democracy promotion programs;
- Experience living and working abroad is an asset;
- Proficiency in a second language is an asset;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- Authorized to work in the United States
This position is part of the NED Bargaining Unit.