The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a Program Coordinator for its Asia program to manage a team of researchers and correspondents documenting press freedom violations and lead CPJ’s research and advocacy in the region. The ideal candidate will be a journalist and/or researcher with significant regional experience, and a deep passion for and knowledge of press freedom and human rights issues. Strong research, reporting, and writing skills, and the ability to manage a small team and collaborate with other departments are a must. Strong oral and written communication skills in English are essential. Fluency in a major regional language is an important asset.
- Report on press freedom and attacks on journalists in the Asia region.
- Advocate for the release of jailed journalists and for an end to impunity in the murder of journalists.
- Oversee the production of daily and long-form reports on press freedom conditions in the region.
- Serve as a CPJ spokesperson with the media, governments, partner organizations, and civil society.
- Manage a team of researchers and correspondents based in the region.
- Anticipate and respond to news and events affecting press freedom and journalists to ensure that these issues are brought to a broad international audience.
- Devise and support advocacy efforts and articulate them with CPJ’s broad organizational goals.
- Assist distressed journalists within the framework of CPJ’s journalist assistance work.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Knowledge of press freedom and media issues in Asia.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading and writing) and ideally a regional language.
- A minimum of five years of experience in media or advocacy work in press freedom issues connected with the region.
- Proven ability to analyse global political and freedom of expression issues and relate them to press freedom in the region.
- Proven skills in written succinct and high-quality reports including the capacity to digest, interpret and accurately summarize reports and data.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include 100 per cent employer-paid health, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance. This job is part of a collective bargaining unit represented by the Writers Guild of America, East. Please submit a resume, cover letter, a 500-word personal statement on why you consider press freedom to be important and three references. To apply please click here.
Organisation: Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ)
Location: New York