Organisation: Berkeley Journalism
The Berkeley Journalism is accepting seeking applications from early-career digital, print, video, audio, photo and multimedia journalists for the California Local News Fellowship to work in local newsrooms across the state.
The fellows earn a full-time salary and benefits from the University of California for two years and receive intensive mentoring, training, and support from experienced journalism leaders.
- Fellows are employees of the University of California and receive a starting salary, based on experience, of $60,000 or $65,000 with full benefits. Fellows are classified as academic personnel and are represented by the UAW Local 5810.
- Video fellows will not be assigned to a local news outlet, but will work as part of a small production team. This position is full-time with a starting salary of $80,000.
- The fellowship is a full-time job. You may apply as a student but need to have completed your studies by the beginning of the fellowship program.
- If you attended a two-year, four-year or graduate level journalism program and have newsroom experience (through student publications, summer internships, freelancing or full-time employment), you may apply.
- You are also eligible to apply if you did not attend college or journalism school but have a high school diploma or GED and at least three years of newsroom experience.
- If you are currently enrolled in a college or university through an F1 or J1 visa, you may be eligible to work in the U.S. for one to three years – and to participate in this fellowship program – after you graduate. If you are a UC Berkeley graduate, you may coordinate your eligibility and participation with the Berkeley International Office; if you are enrolled elsewhere, you should reach out to your school’s international student office to discuss your eligibility. They won’t accept applications from international journalists who do not already have appropriate work authorization in the U.S.
- You may apply while you have another job, but the fellowship is full-time, so you need to be able to make that commitment by the beginning of the fellowship program.
How to apply
The deadline for applications is February 25, 2024. To learn more about this opportunity and apply, please click here.