CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR PUBLIC INTEREST JOURNALISM FUND – NEW ZEALAND
- The fund will be open to all NZ media entities: from large organizations through to small, local entities, and Maori, Pacific and ethnic media. Organizations must show their projects fill a public interest service and would otherwise be at risk or not produced without this fund’s support. This may include (and is not limited to) investigative journalism, data journalism and photo journalism.
- The Public Interest Journalism initiative will provide transitional support to media organizations as the sector evolves in a way that ensures the longer-term sustainability of New Zealand’s media.
- Funding amount: Up to $55m
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: New Zealand
- Application languages: English
The NZ on Air has opened an inaugural funding round for the Public Interest Journalism Fund (PIJF) to support ‘at risk’ journalism by phasing the funding over three years and striking a balance of providing support without creating dependency and ultimately deliver the most long-term sustainable solution for the sector.
This initiative is designed to build a critical bridge between the short term Covid relief provided to the media sector and the longer-term initiatives they have underway. The funding will support the vital public interest journalism function within the sector while the sector adapts and evolves.
The Public Interest Journalism Fund must achieve all of these things:
- Seek to inform and engage the public about issues that affect a person’s right to flourish within their society and impact on society’s ability to fully support its citizens.
- Provide accurate, accountable, and fair coverage that reflects and empowers all sectors of the community upholding the public’s right to know
- Actively promote the principles of Partnership, Participation and Active Protection under Te Tiriti o Waitangi acknowledging Maori as a Te Tiriti partner
- Reflect the cultural diversity of New Zealand
- Encourage a robust and sustainable media sector
Find out more and apply