BUSINESS AND SUSTAINABILITY SPECIALIST FOR COMMUNITY MEDIA
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
“Are you passionate about local journalism, freedom of expression and improving community access to information? Are you interested in helping diverse local media projects reach their full potential and become sustainable? Are you an organized creative multitasker interested in working with a small but dynamic team to support the viability of local news initiatives across the country?
The Listening Post Collective includes dozens of startup newsrooms and longstanding outlets that are committed to participatory journalism practices. We’re looking to hire a dynamic new team member who can work directly with our partners to design and implement business sustainability strategies that meet the unique needs, assets and opportunities that our partners have to offer. Additionally, this position will be dedicated to spearheading new business and sustainability models for the Listening Post Collective, so that we can continue to provide direct support to our collective of partners across the country for years to come.
Our ideal candidate will bring their unique business, marketing, and community building skills to our team and help create a roadmap for the Listening Post Collective and partners to realize a more sustainable future.”
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
Business sustainability support for local partners (50% LOE)
- Create and maintain a working methodology of business sustainability best practices to share with US based partners
- Work with Listening Post Collective partners one-on-one, to help them experiment with a range of revenue generating models including grants, membership, coops, events, product development, subscriptions, and crowdfunding
- Collaborate with Internews staff to share best practices and encourage learning across teams
- Keep up to date on leading research, case studies and best practices for business sustainability models supporting independent media in the US
- Develop strategies and case studies for building community supported business sustainability plans for local media
Listening Post Collective Business Plan (50% LOE)
- Support the overall planning and strategic development for the Listening Post Collective and other US Programs.
- Understand and expertly articulate Listening Post Collective’s mission, vision and funding priorities to donors and funders
- Identify and cultivate funding prospects and other strategic partnerships
- Drive the Listening Post Collective marketing and external engagement plan including branding, design, and placement
- Support US programs grant writing including concept notes and formal applications
- Collaborate with Development and Communications staff at Internews to identify opportunities and areas of collaboration
- Maintain donor interactions on Internews’ Salesforce donor database
- Keep abreast of relevant industry trends and best practices and share that knowledge with others
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Experience creating successful business sustainability models for community media
- Successful grant writing experience
- Connected to US media and community development funder spaces
- Business education OR equivalent professional experience
- Experience working in and with under-represented communities
- Experience working with start-up business and organizations
- Experience working with underserved communities
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening
- Marketing and branding experience an asset
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1197